The key role of the Friends of Atwood (FOA) Community Garden Club is to encourage friends, neighbors and community-based organizations to explore the connection between the great outdoors, community service, cultural arts and social engagement. The club will operate under the theme Sankofa Ashe and focus on four main activities of community outreach and education: garden maintenance, social activities & fundraisers, livestock management and professional development/educational opportunities.
Friends are invited to serve as ambassadors and work alongside volunteers during the monthly Hands On Atlanta community clean-up activities. All Friends in good standing are also encouraged to take leadership roles in individual projects and events. This includes developing and maintaining:
FOA Weekend Training Series:
The Friends of Atwood wants to make sure everyone’s introduction to gardening is fun so we will always offer a 14 week training series that covers all of the basics. The “Watch Me Grow” training program is $5 per class and is hosted by gardeners that have received training through the HABESHA Works program. This completely interactive activity will help you learn all about:
* Ten Tools Every Community Gardener & Garden Needs
* Ten Steps To Starting A Community Garden
* The Basic Infrastructure Of Community Gardens
* Community Garden Basics 101 Series
- Saving Water
- Organic Pest Control
- Organic Weed Control
- Companion Planting
- Planting Out Seedlings
- Growing Fruit Trees
- Saving Your Own Seeds
- Vegetative Propagation
- Worm Farming
Advanced classes and personal training sessions are available and range from $10/class – $30/hr).
* The annual membership fee to join the Friends of Atwood is $5.00 JOIN NOW!
* Membership fees are not required to participate in any of the Watch Me Grow Training Series activities.
* Club meetings are held every 2nd Saturday at Atwood Community Gardens following the Hands On Atlanta Community Clean-Ups (12:30p-2:00pm)
* Community discussions are hosted every 2nd Thursday at 6:00pm (during our Farmer’s Market at Atwood Community Gardens)
* FOA Members receive a 20% discount ($1.00 off) each FOA Weekend Training Series class session