PARTNERS IN EDUCATION
If I Had A Hammer
Mr. Perry Wilson
Founder & CEO
Georgia Institute of Technology
The ATWOOD Model
STEM++ Career Pathways:
- Environmental Service Systems
- A/V Technology & Film
- Journalism & Broadcasting
- Law Enforcement Services
- Legal Services
MISSION#: O*NET 19-2041.00
Complete an Environmental Service Systems service-learning project that involves creating solutions for water and air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal and public health issues by applying a combination of the STEM++ skills listed below.
STEM++ SKILLS APPLIED:
The following competencies can be used on your STEM++ resume and financial portfolio to describe the STEM++ skills you applied to complete your service goals for this Operation Restoration service-learning project.
- Provide scientific or technical guidance, support, coordination, or oversight to governmental agencies, environmental programs, industry, or the public.
- Review and implement environmental technical standards, guidelines, policies, and formal regulations that meet all appropriate requirements.
- Collect, synthesize, analyze, manage, and report environmental data, such as pollution emission measurements, atmospheric monitoring measurements, meteorological or mineralogical information, or soil or water samples.
- Communicate scientific or technical information to the public, organizations, or internal audiences through oral briefings, written documents, workshops, conferences, training sessions, or public hearings.
- Provide advice on proper standards and regulations or the development of policies, strategies, or codes of practice for environmental management.
- Prepare charts or graphs from data samples, providing summary information on the environmental relevance of the data.
- Conduct environmental audits or inspections or investigations of violations.
- Monitor effects of pollution or land degradation and recommend means of prevention or control.
- Design or direct studies to obtain technical environmental information about planned projects.
- Analyze data to determine validity, quality, and scientific significance and to interpret correlations between human activities and environmental effects.
- Develop the technical portions of legal documents, administrative orders, or consent decrees.
- Evaluate violations or problems discovered during inspections to determine appropriate regulatory actions or to provide advice on the development and prosecution of regulatory cases.
- Develop methods to minimize the impact of production processes on the environment, based on the study and assessment of industrial production, environmental legislation, and physical, biological, and social environments.
- Determine data collection methods to be employed in research projects or surveys.
- Process and review environmental permits, licenses, or related materials.
- Supervise or train students, environmental technologists, technicians, or other related staff.
- Plan or develop research models, using knowledge of mathematical and statistical concepts.
- Investigate and report on accidents affecting the environment.
- Conduct applied research on environmental topics, such as waste control or treatment or pollution abatement methods.
- Monitor environmental impacts of development activities.
- Research sources of pollution to determine their effects on the environment and to develop theories or methods of pollution abatement or control.
To apply for this job please visit nextstepsyep.org.